I’ve never been very good at making lists of goals and then following through with them. This is especially true with fitness goals. Even when I decide to pick up a new fitness activity (i.e. running) it has little to do with a specific goal.
I’m hoping to change that.
In his book No Meat Athlete Matt Frazier stresses the importance of taking action to make our goals (or decisions) a reality. Here are the things I plan on doing in the next year and in the future.
Step 1: Get Some Dreams on Paper
- Run a Half Marathon & Marathon
- Run a 50 miler, preferably in a canyon.
- Bike 100 miles.
- Eat raw for a month.
- Learn to swim
- Run the Warrior Dash
Step 2: Create a Timeline for Each Goal
Step 3: Circle Your Top Three One-Year Goals
- Learn to Swim
- Run a Half Marathon
- Eat Raw for a Month
Step 4: Get Specific About Your Three One-Year Fitness Goals
- I don’t know how to swim. By halloween of next year I will be able to feel safe jumping off of my friend’s boat. Additionally I will be able to swim laps at the local pool.
- By June ’14 I will run a half marathon, preferably with my brother. . .barring injuries! My training has already started.
- I have long thought about eating a raw diet. I will eat raw for a month in the spring or summer of 2014. To do so I will follow the dietary suggestions in Brendan Brazier’s books.
Step 5: Make Plans and Take An Action